History or comments
Originally a benefit association, now proudly on the National and State Registers of Historic Buildngs.
Originally, most of the early congregants were from Russia or Poland. Founded as a mutual aid society in 1901, it was known as the Independent Laborer’s Benefit Association. They purchased the current property in 1905 and completed the present building 1924 when the congregation changed its name to Poile Zedek, which means “doers of righteousness.” In 1995 the building was placed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places.
Currently, about 100 families belong to the synagogue, which holds daily as well as Sabbath services. In recent years, new families as well as the recent influx of Russian immigrants have begun to revitalize the congregation. Students from Rutgers University, just a few blocks away, often join the congregation for services.